Thursday, August 1, 2013

Abram

      In David Abram's book, The Spell of the Sensuous, he gives many arguments regarding the way that human beings relate, or do not relate to nature as we should be doing. He mentions that everything nature does- birds flying, tracks of animals, even territory markers- is a part of the language of the world (95). We take what nature gives us and interpret it into what we as humans think it should be. The species of nature communicate one to another simply by existing and doing the natural acts that they do. Upon talking to someone about this topic, I was informed that the extinction of the Dodo bird led to the extinction of a certain tree (I am unable to recall the type of tree). I forgot the details, but this is because the Dodo bird was doing something to the seeds of the tree that enabled the trees to continue growing throughout. When I heard that story, I was surprised at how I had not thought of the effects that one species can have on another.
      Before starting this class, I did not really like the idea of trying to understand nature. I did not enjoy trying to make myself go for a walk and just enjoy walking, or seeing what the world is made of. In fact, I still do not enjoy that. However, one thing that has changed throughout the course of this class, is that I now appreciate people who do make efforts to be one with nature, or people who like the to be pensive of nature. I respect that, and props to you if you are one of those people. Personally, I enjoy nature for what it is, and I have a better appreciation for the way that it works than I did before. I am still probably not going to be in love with nature, but at least now I better understand why people would be.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your outlook on Abram and his outlook on nature regarding we as humans and how we relate, and not relate to nature. Nature gives us the opportunity to see it as it really is because it is around us everyday. We tend to not look at it as much being caught up in our society and this makes us miss out on all the awesome things that nature is.--IM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I to agree with your interpretation of Abrams, mostly because I have not read it and am taking your word for it. Reading this book is as painful as I imagine flushing my eyes with battery acid would be. but I do love nature and being in it, and appreciate your better understanding of it. we as the human race are the only species capable of causing the extinction of other species. unfortunately until more people are capable of seeing the connection between life on earth, such as the Dodo bird and the almost extinction of the Calvaria Tree, or humans and everything dying on earth, we may only have a short time left to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete