Wednesday, July 31, 2013

GOCA

Part 1
 

This could be unfinished business where something is started and then abandoned. I feel as if my life has a lot of unfinished business.
 This piece of wood and metal could represent the shifting of time and even in my own life how things have shifted differently than even I expected.
 
 

This nail sticking out is waiting for someone to help him to be put back into place. My life has been recently displaced by divorce.
 
 This piece of metal represents trying to get back in or trying to open back up to the possibilities the world has set forth.
 
 
Trying to rid myself of the weeds in my life while still being optimistic while viewing Pikes Peak.
 
Part 2
 
     While I was thinking about what I would want to do and where I wanted to go I knew that I would want tranquility. I like how my life reflects with Berger's words, "Our vision is continually active. continually moving, continually holding things in a circle around itself, constituting what is present to us as we are". (9) The last part "what is present to us as we are" is what stands out as most relevant to me. We can immerse ourselves in the pain of life or we can look at life as an adventure to be taken in full. We all experience hard knocks and have challenges that may or may not define us, but how we handle it is really who we are.
     I look no further than the art gallery where the pictures of the girl with the halo around her leg represent a lot of pain yet determination to move forward and to be well again. Such is this life that we have pain but we should be determined to overcome what pains us in life and be able to press on and press forward like this young lady has. I'm sure she experienced many emotions and challenges, but in the end the halo cam off and she can now live life without that challenge. I too have a halo around me as I mend from my recent divorce, but life has a way of mending that pain as well and being able to move forward and press on is the best thing I can do for those I care about and for those who care about me. That being said I think that Berger's "what is present to us as we are" is how we can deal with what life throws at us one step at a time.
 
 
Works cited:
 
 
Berger, John. Ways of  Seeing. London: Penguin Books, 1972. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment