Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Downtown Colorado Springs Savory Spice Shop

 
Discovering the SAVORY SPICE SHOP in Downtown Colorado Springs.
 
These amazing chili peppers were full of flavor and color. They ranged from dark red to a light yellow. When you shook the jar it sounded like drums because they are dense peppers. When you open the lid you can literally "smell" the heat.

There were over 20 varieties of extracts at the shop. The Madagascar Vanilla was my favorite. The smell of vanilla can take you anywhere from fresh bakes cookies to root beer. These shiny bottles were stacked evenly throughout the shelves, and you could sample any of them.

Preserved lemons are such a treat. These jars were beautiful. The bright yellow and red colors stood out amongst the other products. These are originally an India cuisine but have found there way into modern fusion cooking.
I loved stumbling on to this sigh on Tejon Street. It was a welcome way to guide me to my project.
A great example of what the shelves looked like in the shop. Tightly packed with over 100 different spices. So many things that I had never heard about. The best part was opening up the sample bottles and exploring new scents and tastes. Each jar had serving suggestions so that made it easy to imagine the possibilities.



Paprika is one of my favorite spices. As soon as I saw this I was thinking about my recipe for "Paprika Chicken". It's simple, peel and slice a few potato's, top with sliced yellow onion, top that with salt and paper, and paprika coated chicken breasts and bake, it's amazing and so tasty. It could just smell the goodness when I opened this jar.

My favorite thing, was the barrel full of cinnamon sticks. When you open the top, it was like Christmas. So fragrant and bold. They have a few barrels full, and every time someone opened one up the entire store would smell it.


HOT, and I like hot food. But HOT, hotter than hot!


Some of their bigger jars of spices. I loved the way these jars looked when the light hit them. They were so bright and organized.

Many of their products are organized like Genres. I kept thinking to myself, it is sort of like organizing music. They have all different sizes and sometimes recipe cards to go with the spices.

This is a street view of what the shop looks like. No confusion here, they sell spices!

And last but not least, their open door. This shop welcomed me in, and I can't wait to go back.


This little shop in downtown Colorado Springs really drew me into it. It is quaint, and the owners were so warm and inviting, I couldn't help but take pictures while inside it. The aroma's are bold and fresh, and you can see a person in the back room packaging spices. The space is modern, but in so many ways rustic.  The owners did a great job of making in feeling like a kitchen. There are all different sizes of jars and hundreds of different spices. The different spices are pungent and colorful, it makes for a really diverse journey through the world if you read all the information cards. I recommend stopping by this little store and doing some "traveling" in the culinary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment