Monday, July 1, 2013

GOCA ASSIGNMENT 1 and 2

PART I
Immediately, I'm drawn into the culture around me.  I know my walk home will be things at a standstill, conversing with me.  This fellow, by the court house looks down at me.

Is this inviting and making me laugh?  Or is this a face with a camera inside the mask?  What else will I see on my journey home? My perception, my reality, sets my mood.  My past experiences approach me.

This looks more inviting, friendly, normal.  We could be friends.  This guy has a blue hat, with a yellow body, and hands.  He's a helper, a tool, a good person.  The pace of life relaxes upon me.

She looks over me and tries to force a kiss.  If I was behind her would she still look like lips?  I can't feel comfortable, all though there is an abundance of life and breadth, culture and beauty.  

Around the corner is home, another friend, from South to North Tejon.  The tree is approachable and wise.  The butterfly knows this.  Never let Color not be in Colorado.  Just one walk, what a great talk 
PART II


Berger Analysis

      At the Art Gallery, I was attracted to the pictures of the girl that's handicapped.  When I say attracted, I mean pulled in; not because of the artist's rational for what the photos meant to him, but because of what they meant to me.  i feel like I'm taking away from the art by doing this; but at the same time, privileged by what the artist made me feel.  This became my own life and how I have irrevocably, and painfully, missed out on enjoying life with her.  There are always two sides to a story. Perception from our view, especially a child's view is a very tender factor in life from the womb to the tomb.

      This related to me with Berger and perception.   "The way we see things is affected by what we know or what we believe" (p.8).  Our own perception of all things gives us the ability to be creative.  It makes absolutely no sense to forget about the past.  To lessen the wonders of the paintings, sculptures, and literature is to decimate the world's most cherished artists ever known.  However, to view the past and the present, with iPhone i.e. technology today, even to take history and to distort it to make art, is art in itself.  The ability to capture and build story's to inform or entertain is making life more creative.  Berger also states, "The art of the past no longer exists as it once did.  Its authority is lost (p.33)  History should be stored and given its meaning for which it existed.  All that exists presently is building upon something knew, something creative, something special as well.


Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. British Broadcasting Corporation and Penguin Books Ltd: London 1972 Print

PICTURE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED MATT CHMIELARCZYK

No comments:

Post a Comment