Friday, July 26, 2013

Manitou Springs; Old Town America


Eric Perenyi
Dr. Mary J. Sullivan
HUM 3999
18 July 2013

Manitou Springs; Old Town America

            While strolling the streets of Manitou Springs this afternoon, I did what I usually do when I am in a new place: I passed judgment.  When passing judgment, the ultimate conclusion is usually positive, negative or neutral.  During this essay, I will analyze my day in Manitou Springs by answering questions about what was replicated or natural, how the simulated environment interacted with the real environment and how the public art reflected or challenged the town.

            Although replicated, the sculpture of a soldier in a field at the beginning of my walk represented combat (see photo 2).  History has taught us that most societies over the last 3000 years either tricked others out of their land or won their land through combat.  This sculpture would suggest the latter and it interacts very well with the beginning of the Manitou Springs narrative.  As I walked deeper into the town, I was able to identify a structure that is similar to most towns I have lived in or visited.  There were places to live, places to eat and places to play.  A sculpture of two children playing in water (also a replication) gave me the impression that children were present in the early days of the city and their happiness and innocence was as it should have been (see photo 3).  The center of town probably told the majority of the story.  People of all walks of life traveled up and down the streets along the side of the stores and markets as American flags blew in the wind above them (see photo 4).  This scenery was of the present but I could easily imagine the same image from two centuries ago.  Finally, the presence of God is important for most societies and I got the impression that Manitou Springs naturally follows that model (see photo 5).  As a photographer, I do not feel like I have participated in the construction of Manitou Springs but my presence in the city definitely makes me a consumer. 

            In closing, I would say that my experience in Manitou was a positive one.  The art that I came across was very reflective of the town (a town of old and traditional routes as well as a town of tourism).  Although I would probably choose to live somewhere else, I would definitely consider another visit to old town America.

Photo 1
 
Photo 2
 
Photo 3
 
 
Photo 4
 
Photo 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment