Friday, July 19, 2013

Manitou








While walking through Manitou Springs, one's mind cannot help but be taken away by the immense culture of art.  Throughout the city there is clear natural beauty that sweeps you off your feet, and with that art that makes you think.  The numerous natural drinking fountains located in Manitou offer a little slice of that natural beauty to all.
            With the Waldo Canyon fire still so pertinent to the community, much of my thinking while looking at certain pieces reflected the city's challenges of dealing with that disaster.  For instance, inside one of the Manitou Springs Art Council's buildings a replication of a fireman's jacket can be found.  This replication piece spoke to me in means of remembrance, impact, and the ever present potential of wildfire.  All the natural beauty that Manitou was built upon can be compromised so quickly.  This piece brought back feelings of how fragile and how brutal nature can truly be. 
            However, during my journey through the city another piece caught my eye: a stature of a woman holding a light soaring above the city for all to see.  This man made piece convinced me that even in the darkest of times, there is always some good.  I think this statue acts as a "protector" of the city, casting a light of hope in the midst of fire season. 
            Along my walk I was lucky enough to snap a picture of the Manitou bell alarm, while a fire truck was driving through the background.  This piece showcases how a simulated environment (being the man made bell alarm) can impact and interact with the real environment.  People driving by every day are reminded of the fire threat and the seriousness of the issue. Again an example of how art can recreate memories, and impact a meaningful truth.
            One of my last pictures along my walk was taken of one of the colorful bird statues.  They seem to be a crowd favorite here in Manitou, maybe due to the bright cheery colors! The two birds bring a sense of joy to the community. 
            Lastly, my journey took me to an interesting formation piece of a metal bicycle.  This piece is a fantastic example of how the community embraces art, as the replication was being used as a bike rack for someone's bicycle. Taking photos of all the art in Manitou, I play a role in the construction of the art community.  Sharing the pictures on Flickr is a way to get the beauty of Manitou's culture out there, and to make known some of the hidden gems hiding in this little mountain town.    

No comments:

Post a Comment