Friday, July 26, 2013

The GOCA


GOCA


They say that a picture (what we see) is worth a thousand words.  Berger tells us that the way we see things is affected by what we know or what we believe.  This made me think about the different opinions that people might have when they look at the El Paso County Court and how the justice system may be interpreted.


The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office may represent public service and safety to some (privilege).  This same office may represent injustice to others (oppression).  The connecting Metro Detention Facility probably represents a place that most people would not want to call their permanent or temporary place of residence.
 
 
 
 
 
 
After coming across this exhibit, I realized that my interpretation was probably different than the intention of the artist.  I see this as a representation of the passing of culture from one generation to the next (Halloween).  In addition, this represents the innocence and happiness of childhood.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Without a doubt, Colorado Springs has deep routes from the past.  Over the years, the city has undergone a major face lift that is more representative of the present.  In contrast, these buildings tell that story.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
The main event of the day was the exhibit at the GOCA.  This documentation was a story of pain, struggle, validation, adaptation and overcoming.  See part 2 of this assignment for further clarification.

 
Eric Perenyi
Dr. Mary J. Sullivan
HUM 3999
26 June 2013
The Ways of Seeing
            During my reading of chapter one from Ways Of Seeing by John Berger, I came across several concepts that were new to me in words, but things that I have practiced for years without even knowing.  The most significant of these concepts was the way we see things is affected by what we know or what we believe (Berger 8). 
            During my visit to the GOCA, I was treated to several photos a young girl that was living with her disability(s).  Through several photos of his daughter, Matt Chmielarczyk was able to tell a story about the experiences of him and his daughter.  Although the story is specific for Chmielarczyk, it may have very different meanings to those who are trying to interpret the story.  My understanding of Chmielarczyk’s story is one of pain, struggle, validation, adapting and overcoming.  In actuality, my understanding of Chmielarczyk’s story is five different stories combined into one.  Although this is not my story nor the story of my daughter, I try to make sense of what I have seen based on what I know or think that I know and what I believe. 
            In the several photos of Chmielarczyk’s daughter that I viewed, I was able to piece together a complete story that I could understand.  Having personally suffered a serious injury, I was able to recognize the pain on the girl’s face as she was attended to.  Other photos depicted her with crutches as she attempted to move from place to place.  These photos demonstrated the fact that mobility was not easy and that it involved a significant degree of struggle.  Seeing photos of her participating in activities such as playing the violin not only confirmed validation (still a human being that is capable of doing what others can do) but adaptation to her circumstances.  Most interesting to me were the final pictures of a girl walking (or running) down a hall towards an exit sign.  To me, this picture reflects that she has overcome her situation.
John Berger, Ways of Seeing (London: Penguin Books, 1972), 8

No comments:

Post a Comment