Wednesday, July 3, 2013

GOCA 121 Stroll

 There is just something about a smiling cross walk that lets you know this is going to be a great day. As I walked out of GOCA still reminiscing over the powerful photos I had just observed, this work of art caught my eye and brought a smile to my face that carried my mood for the rest of the day.

 This piece of art represents to me what many American lives I think are that watch reality TV. Empty.
 As I admire this beautiful butterfly, I can imagine myself being hurled through the cosmos on an epic journey. Exploring other planets and meeting other life forms. back stroking through the galaxies.
 BACON. Need I say more. Probably, but all I can think of right now is bacon, and I think he can smell it too.
This picture warms my heart in anticipation of my wife returning. Being able to hold her again and then sleep in as she gets up with the babies. Oh sweet sleep, how I miss thee.


Part 2

GOCA: Bill Starr


As I walk through the GOCA 121 exhibit of Bill Starr’s photo’s, I am awe struck by the beauty and motion he is able to capture. Mr. Starr has been in a fight against arthritis since he was a kid. This disease has stolen a very important part of his life, motion. And this is what Starr has learned to capture in his images, the motions we go through in everyday life. Motions he is able to freeze for us to relive at a later point in time. One of Berger arguments in chapter 1 is that images were made to represent something that is no longer there. “An image is a sight which has been recreated or reproduced. It is an appearance, or set of appearances, which has been detached from the place and time in which it first made its appearance and preserved- for a few moments or a few centuries” (Berger 9-10). This is what I see in Mr. Starr’s photography, as I gaze at his image of a dancer, I am brought into this moment he has captured and am able to visualize the poetic movements of her dance.

Citation

Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. 1st ed. . England: British broadcasting corporation and Penguin books, 1972. 9-10. Print.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment