Friday, July 19, 2013

Manitou and Public Art Journey "A journey of reflective progress"

Nic Miller
Humanities 3990
Manitou Springs Public Art Journey


A Journey of Reflective Progress











Manitou Springs founded as a local amusement park in the 19th century?  That makes so much sense!  Manitou Springs truly is like traveling to another country with the culture, artwork and eccentric demographic.   This is how my my adventure as a flaneur, in Manitou Springs, began.

The experience began with a general background on the artwork and history of this diamond in the rough, of an ex-amusement park.  My stroll began in the BAC, Business of Art Center, where my first photo is used to show how my individual adventure began.  I have never been to the BAC, I have never strolled Manitou in this fashion.  Just as in the first photo, I found myself full of life and possibilities which was radiating out of my person.

We then left the BAC and began our individual walk displaced from the group.  Finding myself isolated and just wondering, I happened across I sculpture of a paper airplane.  The simulated environment, of this sculpture, resonated deep within myself and I can imagine the real environment as a whole.  For me, the paper airplane gave a sense of calm and a friendly reminder of childhood and how the group was much less of a concern for me back then.  It also sparked an idea that anybody can fly.  Anyone can accomplish their dreams.  

Manizoo?  Was this simply the sign of a simple children's playground?  Or, was this something more for all of us to think about?  Manitou plus zoo, simple and cute name, but with the extensive detail in painting, I felt this was a message.  You are in the zoo now. This is a unique town with diversity comparable to the San Diego Zoo.  Manitou truly is a zoo of life.  So many people, cultures and ways of life all smashed up into an enclosed area. 

The next sculpture that really enhanced my stroll was a bullshead.  The complexity, detail, beauty and emotion depicted can take your breathe away.  I felt challenged mentally for the first time in the day.  This piece of art left more questions and possible interpretations than I could handle.  Why did the artist use chains as his medium?  Whats the significance of the bull at this point in the walk, and on and on and on.  A great example of how art can effect you at any moment.  Artwork is personal and very powerful.  As a Manitou resident, you are forced to stop and think more frequently which in turn can induce endless creativity or should I say it creates a "ManiZoo."

If you noticed, my pictures increase in size, this was on purpose.  My experience started with a small idea and with each passing step the experience became greater and greater.  Thus, you see the beautiful clock tower at the end.  I was instantly reminded of "To Kill a Mocking Bird."  What an amazing conclusion to my stroll around Manitou.  It began with leaving the group and pursuing an individual experience.  It ended with a clock tower, that represents "people" or a "group" and "people" or a "group" being unreliable and reckless. Implying that times change and the world changes; but attitudes and public perspective sometimes stand still.  So deep and such a great first time flanering. 



1 comment:

  1. What a great choice to gradually enlarge the pics. It makes me think of Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother, Nipomo California." She drew in closer and closer to evoke an emotional response from the viewer.

    ReplyDelete