Saturday, July 20, 2013

Manitou






Visiting Manitou Springs is always a new adventure. Every time I visit, there is something new I notice about the town. This town, rich with history, culture, and art, is an evenly mixed collection of the new and old. As I wandered around the town, I noticed beautiful old buildings that have been preserved either for utility or because of their obvious splendor. Most noticeable, on this particular meandering, was the relationship between the natural world and the human-created world. The forest almost seems to attempt to recapture the territory lost so long ago. Trees and other plants encompass houses, streets, and even a large church. On this particular gorgeously foggy day, the vegetation seems to stretch out to absorb the moisture which really makes the color and form noticeable to the visitor. The life of this small tourist town continued despite the weather and that was also quite unexpected. The design of the town overall contributes to the artsy feel of the town as well. Art covers the small town on every block, sometimes unintentionally. I consider architecture to be a form of art and that was what drew my gaze on this day. With my documentation of the town of Manitou Springs, it continues to grow in its art-presence because the town itself inspires me to take photographs and create art of my own. Manitou Springs, as a cultural hub and as just a nice tourist attraction, is a particularly beautiful place to visit and adds to my appreciation to this area in which I’ve grown accustomed. 

2 comments:

  1. could not help but notice the long shots as if one were to be peering into a place

    ReplyDelete