Saturday, June 15, 2013

Florissant Experience

 




Florissant Response

I seemed to be drawn to the light. Not just any light, but the light that shines brighter than any man-made object. It was something that had been around for my whole life, but I had failed to recognize its importance and worth. As a child I would long for the days of summer vacation. Those days where nothing mattered but playing in the dirt with your friends, catching frogs and dreaming of building underground forts.  You know before all kids did was watch reality T.V. and play video games. The good ole’ days of playing outside until the street lights came on, not worrying how dirty you got or how burnt you got by the sun. Somewhere between catching frogs and learning about eye liner and mascara, I forgot about the beauty of my surroundings. I no longer longed to play outside until my skin was burned. I was now interested in driving and hanging out at the mall with my friends. As I look back at that time I don’t understand why the mall was the “hot spot” for teens. We would hang out for hours not purchasing a thing! Honestly now it sounds like the most boring activity ever, but at the time it was all I wanted to do. Recently something about me changed.  I started to notice the natural beauties around me. When I would look to the sky I would see so much more than I had previously. I see shapes and animals and in some instances I was able to imagine a different world. I was able to walk, not for the purpose of getting somewhere, but to take in the sounds and smells of my environment. When I looked at the trees, I saw so much more than a tree, but I saw life forms. Trees are living vessels that are home to a variety of different organisms. You could say they were their own universe. Something wonderful had changed in me. The same part of me that loved the outdoors when I was little had been awaken and I couldn’t get enough of the natural beauty that surrounds me every day. A part of me had been reawaken.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment