Sunday, June 9, 2013

Florissant Photos and Essay


 

My experience in Florissant was an awakening and indulgence of the senses that I feel has been neglected for far too long. There was no sound except for the soft whisper of wind through the trees, a rustling through the bush from an animal or crying of a bird. The sound of people walking through the park was a stark contrast to the natural beauty that I felt surrounded me. The industrial additions of buildings seemed abstract and out of place, almost to the point of annoyance, and I found myself feeling as though I simply became immersed in the beauty of the shadows that cut through the light of the trees, and sprouting of life all around me.  I felt entranced by the left behind stories and lifetimes that could be seen within the stumps of trees and fossils of ancient insects, leaves and wood.  Thrust into a world that was so old, yet so new to me, left me with an air of rippling excitement, I could feel myself being reenergized by being in the presence of such natural beauty, as if tapping into an ancient source of power. I felt as if a part of me had just come home, home to a place that felt magical, warm and mysterious. Yet, I knew that the power was bigger than me, and that each living entity around me from the birds to the towering trees, were not to be underestimated, as shown by the slash of lightning that had hit on the trees. Although, I felt so small in comparison to the energy of Florissant, I knew instinctively that I also belonged. It was a truly unique experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment