Saturday, June 29, 2013

Florissant trip



Fossil Beds
The fossil beds in Florissant were fantastic. I have been there a few times and every time I go, I always think it is a sight worth seeing. I don’t see fossils hardly ever in my life and every time I see these ones, I am very grateful. I wouldn’t think many fossils of this size would still be here, especially this well preserved. The fact that they were preserved by lava was rather interesting. I would have never thought something that catastrophic ever could preserve something. The only bad part about finding these when we did, was that they almost destroyed them before even knowing what they were. My favorite part of the tour is most likely the three-way cloned tree. Not only are the odds of having a well preserved sight in our favor, but the fact that it happened to preserve something that rarely happens in nature is amazing. My other favorite part would have to be the tree growing out of the old fossil stump. There were probably thousands of seeds laid over that stump over time that couldn’t survive, but that particular seed was strong and resilient enough to grow through a rock.  It really shows how natural selection and evolution could take place under the right circumstances. The guides that work there are very knowledgeable, very friendly, and are great at guiding any type of personality into having a great time. Even though I have been there a few times, I would go again in a heartbeat. 






No comments:

Post a Comment