Tuesday, June 25, 2013

GOCA Assignment



 
When observing the art work in the gallery I came across this exert. The part that really stood out to me was, "a specific relationship to the world". This made me think about the relationship we all have to the world. No ones relationship to the world is like anyone else's experience. Each relationship is unique.
 
 
As I started to walk to my car I thought about the statement, "walking as knowing". To me that means that without walking or making progression in life you will effect your growth. Not growth in the means of height or weight, but mental growth. Stunting that mental growth with inevitably affect your relationship to the world, and the people in this world.

 
As I continued on my walk to the car I saw this statue. This statue represents the "invisible people of the Pikes Peak region". When thinking about he idea of walking as knowing, I can't help but think that if this man and many others like him had not walked or made progress in life, I would not have been able to make the progress I have made as an African American.
 
 
The next thing I  noticed on my way to my car was the butterfly art work. Each butterfly had images on it that depicted the artists' internal emotions. To me this represented freeing yourself of internal turmoil.

 
When I finally got to my car I thought about all the life revelations I had on my walk. I realized that in order to progress in life I must walk with an open mind. I must look at each moment of my life as an opportunity to help me grow. An opportunity to make my relationship with the world and the people around me.
 
 
Part 2:
 


In chapter one of the book Ways of Seeing, by John Berger, presented really interesting ideas about perception. The argument that stood out to me was the comparison between perception concerning paintings and photos. He states, “The invention of the camera changed the way men saw. The visible came to mean something different to them. This was immediately reflected in painting” (18). This to me is saying that with the invention of cameras perspectives changed. Pictures could evoke different responses than paintings could. Art was no longer only based on the artist’s perspective. The art from the gallery that I feel shows the difference in perspectives is the art work done of the young girl. I feel the pictures of the little girl were meant to make to viewer look inside of themselves and see that they can progress in life when they run into life obstacles. For me the pictures showed that nothing that’s worth having ever comes easy. Other students couldn’t understand why someone would put their child’s struggle out there for everyone to see. Photos allow for the viewer to interpret the art work in a different way than they would be able to if they were looking at a painting. In paintings the main idea is usually apparent, but in photos there are so many different ideas in one photo, that the main idea could be anything. Berger also states in reference to the invention of cameras that, “For the Cubists the visible was no longer what confronted the single eye, but the totality of possible views taken from points all round the object (or person) being depicted” (18). The photos of the young girl in the gallery allowed the viewers to see different aspects of her life and turmoil. With photos you do not have to view the object from head on, you are able to look at all angles of that object and interpret a lot about purpose of the photo and key elements.

 

Work Cited:

Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. British Broadcasting Cooperation and Penguin Books Ltd: London 1972. Print.

 

1 comment:

  1. "...I can't help but think that if this man and many others like him had not walked or made progress in life, I would not have been able to make the progress I have made as an African American."

    Who was he?

    ReplyDelete