Sunday, June 23, 2013

GOCA Assignment

 
 
PART 1: Storyboard of Photos
 
The phone slipped out of my hand as the words became more clear in my head. Did it mean what I thought it meant? Could I trust what my ears were telling me? Why did this have to happen now?

My mind races as my vision blurs. I snap my head to the left and right and realize that I am here now; in public, surrounded by infinite possibilities. The world expands and shrinks and I can feel the world closing in upon me.  

I have to get out of here - now. I'm not strong enough to face this reality on my own. I'm barely strong enough to keep my feet underneath my liquid knees. I hear my mind scream at my feet telling them to run, Run, RUN!

A kaleidoscope of angles flood my senses and I fall a step or two then five. The sweat on palms search for grip on the peeled paint of the rusted rail, and every moment balance seems to be leveled toward me, the metaphorical and literal gravity of the situation forces itself upon every square inch of my draining humanity. I try to focus on motor skills: leftfootrightfootleftfootrightfoot aroundandroundandroundandround...... 

Somehow I make it into my tiled sanctuary and slam the partition shut. I fall back upon the porcelain seat and heave the sprinting pain out of my lungs. Slowly my thoughts careen down to a manageable speed...I try to convince myself that it is going to be ok, it's going to be ok, it's SHHHHHH....what was that? It was in the stall next to me... I don't think I'm alone. I am never alone.    
 
PART 2: Berger Analysis
             In his seminal book Ways of Seeing, John Berger makes a variety of claims regarding the nature of photography as an art and as a medium of communication. One particular focus that Berger expanded on is the different relationships between the subject of the photo, the photographer, and intended audience as well as the choices, emphases, and pre-existing circumstances that may or may not inform how the end product was conceived, created and observed. One solid claim that Berger makes along these lines is that a photograph is simply a reproduction of an original sight. Essentially, he argues that the photographer and the subject are secondary to the perception of the audience that is viewing that reproduction.  He says that photos are “detached from the place and time in which it first made its appearance and preserved – for a few moments or a few centuries” (Berger 9-10). This means that the original intention of the image may be completely construed by a future viewer’s biases and personal experience.
            One of the exhibits at the Gallery of Contemporary Arts of UCCS exemplifies Berger’s point perfectly. There was gallery that showed a progression of a young girl’s life through a traumatic life experience. For full disclosure it’s important to note that in this exhibit there was a written explanation of the subject matter of the photos, but it’s safe to assume that not all people who view the piece read the explanation, so Berger’s specific point can be taken in full. For every viewer, the images of a pain stricken child will strike different chords. As time passes and the images remain the same, advances in medical technology may make the photos look gruesome and archaic. Future media laws involving children may make the photo illegal for obscenity reasons.
The point is basically this: Berger’s thesis that photos are reproductions that are detached from their purpose can plainly been seen by any viewer who looks on this exhibit and feels or sees anything that contradicts what the artist wrote on his explanation.         
Works Cited
Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. British Broadcasting Cooperation and Penguin Books Ltd: London 1972. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment