Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Part one: OCD Promptness, Part two: Berger analysis


My Crime Theory class is out early, so I have time to watch some of my son enjoying America’s past time. Now, it’s past the time I should have left for class. Damn I need to run like these players and get the hell out of here. I can’t be late…

 

GOCA 121 S. Tejon st. I know the area, and I will try to park where I don’t have to pay and I can walk. I must have taken the long route because it is 12:40pm.


Shit, I drove down Tejon, and I was rerouted by road construction, and then I got back on Tejon. Where is this fucking place? Park! Just park and ask somebody fool…12:46 tick, tick, tick….


 
 
 
 
 
 
Bike man, Meter man, whatever the fuck, can you tell me where 121 S. Tejon is? In a bold confident voice, “you are on N. Tejon and S. Tejon begins after Colorado.” I answer by telling him that I drove down S. Tejon and the numbers were growing in the five, and six hundreds, and he told me to keep going further south until the numbers start over. WTF…


I pull out the directions I made from UCCS because I thought my first class would have kept me there longer. 12:52pm… I followed the directions and parked by a meter where I only mustered  a measly ninety-five cents, so I asked two Caucasian hiker guys if they could spare any change and they emptied their pockets. 12:59pm… I walk in flustered but composed while thinking I should have pulled out my directions beforehand and thank God I did not take the Meter man’s advice!



 
Part Two:

One of the main arguments I noticed was that the invention of the camera changed people’s perspective of time. Therefore, many paintings have lost their originality and uniqueness because of reproductions created by camera images. Paintings have a timeless quality to them because they tend to depict an entire scene from the perspective of the artist in a specific time-period. Hierarchies and royal families often were depicted in their wealth and glory. In a photograph of traffic one will notice the year and make of a vehicle and apply that to some form of time and space in their life. A painting will lead the viewer to notice brush strokes, compositional unity, symmetry, the use of vibrant and contrasting colors, and the intent of the scene.

Before the camera, paintings were viewed on the ceiling of a cathedral, a prestigious address, or an artist showcase. However, the invention of the camera has led to paintings being, “defined as an object whose value depends upon its rarity” (pp.21). The camera has moved people away from the feelings and meaning of a painting toward the rarity of its reproductions. Therefore, none of the artists seen at the gallery can be viewed in terms of rarity. The photographer could become infamous, but essentially they are dependent upon the audience capturing the feelings and meaning while transporting themselves into the time and space they have created.

I’m not an expert on photography, but I cannot imagine it being terribly popular in the art world. Andrea Wallace has the best chance of having her images valued in a like manner to a painting. She captures a scene where the perspective is deliberate. The women curled up in the snow causes a viewer to ponder its meaning, but the other two exhibits were progressive and personal. Andrea is effective in using perspective similar to an accomplished painter. She has successfully placed the viewer in the center of her world. Perspective is more evident in her clementine and snow images than any of her other displayed images.


1 comment:

  1. You've made an interesting point regarding fine art photography and its dependence on meaning and the subjective observer. What happens when it is abstract photography, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete