Saturday, June 29, 2013

Florissant Trip
I found lots of very exciting things during this trip.  It was a chance to look deep into the past.   I began to think about the Archeology class I took a few semesters back with Dr. Karin Larkin.  During this adventure, I take the time to think about what I “see”.
First I find an old tree stump.  The tree stump appears to be a several thousand year old remnant of a tree.  Weather, wind, and time have eroded this old tree; although the stump is really old, it may last another one thousand years.  The stump is an excellent storytelling object which will reveal history for the past; probably dating back to when migratory tribes first explored North America.
Then I find two more stumps that have been petrified by the years of absorbing minerals through their roots.  They almost feel like rock.  At first glance, they appear to have features resembling a small mountain with caves and depressions.  Although these look like stone, they are actually wood.
There is life all around.  Even in places where it seems there is not.  There are tiny communities of living organisms covering the rocks.  In addition to adding more colors, the moss pattern living on this rock appears to resemble a small city.  There must be millions of creatures living in these woods all at one time.
I am glad there are places like this still preserving the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment