Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Assignment #4

Part One:
This space definitely needs some sprucing up.  I can't imagine the fairy's enjoy this garden (our "Fairy Garden") anymore than I do at the moment.  This is a moment of excitement for me... my grandmothers passed on their love of gardening and I love picking out new plants.  :)
Just simple gardeners tools, but they help make the magic happen.  These gloves have been through the wringer and are in need of replacement, I use them anyway.  I feel so grounded and happy when I have my hands in the dirt.  Nothing fancy needed here.
My husband and I went to the local nursery in search of strawberry plants, and ended up bringing these (and others) home.  Story of my life...  These little pink butterfly shaped flowers are perfect for this garden, and the ground-cover is nice too.
Digging holes, mind clear and empty and relaxed.  A silent blessing for each plant as it is planted.  I remember so vividly my grandmothers planting and digging, watering and weeding, tending and loving their flower gardens.  I miss them both very much but gardening helps.
New plants, more "Fairy Garden"-esque.  It wasn't much work, but now I have dirt under my nails and smudges on my face and just feel content.  Time to sit on the patio with a glass of wine and admire the garden.



Part Two:



One of the arguments presented by Berger is that history distorts our perception of paintings.  What is written or known about the painter can change our view of a painting.  A painting may have been done for a specific purpose, but many meanings can be attributed to it given current circumstances.

Another argument presented by Berger is that photography has changed the way we view art, specifically paintings.  Berger suggests that reproductions offer little value to the viewer because the immediacy of the painting is lost.  In a reproduction a person cannot see the nuances of a great painting.  I agree with that to a small degree, however I also disagree.  Unless viewed in the exact position the artist intended a piece the original meaning and overall "value" of artwork cannot ever be fully appreciated, however the painting still has enormous value (not monetary.  Removing it from it's context can of course change meanings, but art is personal... it will always mean different things to people depending on their circumstances, experiences, and values.

I think the second artist, Matt Chmielarczyk's work can be related to these arguments.  If the "original art" is actually Matt seeing his daughter go through difficult surgeries and recoveries, then the photos are the reproductions.  In that sense, the viewer cannot possibly appreciate the complexity of the situation.  We are given a brief view, a graphic visual summary of his family's experiences.  Reading the bio on the wall changes a viewers perception of the photos.  Prior to reading it, I thought maybe she had been in a car accident or something similar.  To find out it was a necessary (but elective) surgery changed how I saw the work. 

1 comment:

  1. "Digging holes, mind clear and empty and relaxed. A silent blessing for each plant as it is planted." Well-said.

    ReplyDelete