Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Florissant National Park

Life
As difficult as it is to imagine the beauty that once made up the Florissant National Park.  I placed myself back in time with no one around but the large redwood trees towering over me dancing as the wind blew through them making beautiful music as the leaves rattled.  With the mountains in the background showing off how even just a huge rock in the distance can be as beautiful as a delicate flower standing at my feet.  The sound of the river trickling downstream is music to my ears especially with the insects flying extremely close to the water acting as a duet to make music with no written notes.
As I continue walking through this breathtaking view I am stopped by a word in a vague and distant tone.  Volcano.  As I am forced back into reality, ranger Weber is explaining how a volcano came roaring through and destroyed so much beauty.  As I look around I am divested by what is before me.  A redwood trunk that is wrapped with metal bands is hardly standing as tall as I pictured this strong,  towering over me, dancing tree to be.  As we continue walking down the dirt path it is brought to my attention that the river that once trickled down stream is now a dry sandy path for us to walk down.  We explore the tall skinny trees that now stand around us and piles of wood that are stacked to help in case a fire ever decides to take out what is left of this national park.   
Towards the end we got to see fossils being chiseled and that by itself is interesting and fascinating to know how well preserved different objects are detailed on rocks overtime.  Though time moves us forward and nothing stays the same a different kind of beauty will take its place.  As a lesson I've learned, from trees to flowers to even different beautiful people that come into this world and in a sense people that leave it, life is something that should be appreciated for the beauty from the past, present, and future as it is always changing and evolving.  
walking under the tall skinny trees
in the distance the mountain sits

beautiful fossil in such great detail
stump of redwood tree
pile of logs are everywhere




2 comments: