Tuesday, June 25, 2013

GOCA 121 Assignment

Part 1: Confusion


 
When we have to go to a class outside of the college, I get a little leery, because there’s always a chance that you can’t find the place you are suppose to go to. Well low and behold when I go downtown to search for where we are suppose to meet, I run into a Road Closed sign.  I’m like, ‘oh man, what do I do now?’


As I drive around the Road Closure, I’m thinking to myself, ‘where is this place, is class still going on since the directions say that where we are suppose to meet, they have the road closed?’ I am also wondering what the city was doing to have the road closed on a Saturday. Finally when I get to the other side of the road closure, I see that there is a big crane in the middle of the road; but luckily the road still had limited access to pedestrians.


So after I find a parking spot a block away from the area in which we were suppose to meet, I started walking. As I’m walking, I’m thinking to myself, ‘where exactly is this place? I’ve been here before and have never seen an art gallery.’ Then all of a sudden on my walk closer to the closed road, I notice a strange sculpture of a flower, but the really strange part wasn’t that the flower was drooped over; it was the fact that it had a solar panel on the top of it. This is where I started thinking, ‘maybe there is a gallery somewhere around here.’

 
As I walk closer to the buildings, I look for the address. I think to myself, ‘ok, so the address is 121Tejon.’ As I bend the corner to walk parallel with Tejon, I see the address, but for some reason it is a bank and I’m like, ‘hmm, is there more than one 121 Tejon?’ Finally I notice that there are different businesses inside of one building. I finally get to an entrance, in which I see the logo of the gallery we are suppose to go to.


When I go into the building, I think to myself, ‘oh man where do I go now? Is there an upstairs to this place? I hear elevators around the corner.’ Thankfully as I go around the corner, I see the logo of the gallery and head in that direction; and wait for class to start.

 

Part 2

One of the arguments I related to the most was the one about what the artist saw and what the viewer sees. Out of the artists I liked in the gallery, I was thinking about the one artist that had the least amount of pictures. When there are fewer pictures to show, it is harder for the artist to convey what they see or show their emotions to the viewers. When I looked at the pictures I saw sadness and loneliness, for the last part of the pictures. Who’s to say that is what the artist was trying to convey? Maybe he was trying to show people deep in thought? Only the artist can tell you what he was thinking at that time. But something else confused me as to what I thought, and that was when I saw the picture that was closer to the door of the gallery. It was the picture with the lady holding the clementines. When I looked at this picture, it seemed out of place in comparison to the other pictures. This is when I started to think that what I saw in the last part of the pictures had a different meaning. Just like Berger mentions in his book, Ways of Seeing, he says that the context in which the artwork is presented changes the way one can see. By having this picture in the mix of the artist’s pictures changes the meaning of all the pictures. If the artist kept with the same theme for all of their pictures, it wouldn’t be so hard to figure out what he was conveying, but maybe that is what the artist was going for, but who’s to say? Anyway, this artist really made me make a connection with what Berger was arguing about in his book.


No comments:

Post a Comment